UVC radiation is known to break the DNA of bacteria, viruses and spores. As a result, they are rendered harmless.
UV radiation can be used for multiple purposes in water and air treatment, but is primarily employed as a disinfection process that inactivates micro-organisms without chemicals. For other applications, UV is used for the removal of organic and inorganic chemicals, including chlorine, chloramines, ozone and Total Organic Carbon (TOC) emerging contaminants.
Benefits of UV disinfection are:
Effective for all types of microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia
- No disinfection by-products (DBPs) of health concern formed
- UVC acts instantly
- Low capital and operating cost
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Does not change the taste of water
- Safe and environmentally-friendly
- No overdose issues and dose can be easily adapted to specific needs.
Philips offers a full range of UV lamps, drivers and sleeves used for air and water disinfection.